In the era of smart homes, the convenience of voice-controlled devices has become a norm rather than a novelty.
Among these devices, smart plugs have emerged as an essential tool, allowing us to control a wide range of appliances with just our voice. Whether it’s turning on a coffee maker, controlling outdoor lighting, or managing energy usage, smart plugs have made it all possible with a simple command to your Alexa device.
Here we explore the best options available in 2023. We’ll cover a variety of models, from indoor and outdoor plugs to a few budget-friendly options, and discuss their pros and cons to help you make an informed decision.
We’ve analyzed top brands like TP-Link Kasa, Wemo, Amazon, Wyze, and more, focusing on factors such as ease of use, reliability, features, and price.
Best Indoor Smart Plugs For Alexa
Based on my own experience and recent online reviews, here are some of the best smart plugs for Alexa:
TP-Link Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Plug Mini (HS105)
This is my personal smart plug of choice and the one I primarily use around the house.
This is a popular choice due to its reliable performance, compact design, and compatibility with Alexa. It also offers features like scheduling and away mode.
- Easy to Control: The TP-Link Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Plug Mini makes it easy to control any device in your home from your phone.
- No Hub Required: Just like before, the HS105 still works with a secured 2.4GHz wireless network without the need for a separate hub.
- Compact Design: The thin design of the Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Plug Mini allows it to keep adjacent outlets accessible.
- Reliable WiFi Connection: The HS105 is praised for its reliable WiFi connection.
- Compatibility: The Kasa Smart is compatible with various TP-LINK Smart Plug models, including the HS105.
- 2.4GHz Only: The HS105 still only supports 2.4GHz Wi-Fi networks, which can be a limitation if your home or office uses a 5GHz network.
- No Energy Monitoring: The HS105 still does not provide energy monitoring features.
TP-Link Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Plug Slim (EP25)
This smart plug is highly recommended by Wirecutter and Endgadget. It’s slim, reliable, and comes with energy monitoring features.
- Energy Monitoring: Unlike the HS105 model, the EP25 does provide energy usage monitoring, which can be a valuable feature for those looking to track and reduce their energy consumption.
- Slim Design: The slim design of the EP25 allows it to fit into tighter spaces and not block adjacent outlets.
- Compatibility: The EP25 is compatible with the Kasa app, allowing for easy setup and control.
- Package Quantity: The EP25 is only sold in 4-packs.
Wemo WiFi Smart Plug
Tom’s Guide rates this as their top choice due to its compact design that won’t block other outlets.
- Remote Control: The Wemo WiFi Smart Plug can control lights and appliances from anywhere, making it a convenient choice for smart home setups.
- Compatibility: The Wemo WiFi Smart Plug is compatible with HomeKit, offering additional voice-integration support.
- Affordable: The Wemo WiFi Smart Plug is considered affordable, making it a good choice for those on a budget starting a smart home.
- No Energy Monitoring: The Wemo WiFi Smart Plug does not provide energy monitoring features.
Amazon Smart Plug
Specifically designed for Alexa, this plug is recommended by Engadget for homes with Alexa.
- Alexa Integration: The Amazon Smart Plug lets you control whatever is plugged into it using Alexa voice commands, and it integrates well with other Alexa-enabled devices.
- Easy Setup: Users have praised the Amazon Smart Plug for its easy setup process.
- Affordable: The Amazon Smart Plug is considered affordable, making it a good choice for those on a budget starting a smart home.
- Ecosystem Limitation: While it works well within the Amazon ecosystem, its functionality may be limited in other smart home ecosystems. Does not work with Apple HomeKit, Google Assistant, or IFTTT.
CNN Underscored and ZDNet both recommend the Wyze Plug for its basic functionality at a reasonable price.
- Compact Design: The Wyze Plug is small and doesn’t block adjacent outlets, making it convenient for use in various locations.
- High Ampere Rating: The Wyze Plug can handle up to 15A of power, which is higher than many other smart plugs.
- Offline Functionality: The Wyze Plug will still work even if the WiFi goes offline, although smart features will be unavailable until the connection is restored.
- Affordable: The Wyze Plug is often praised for its affordability while still offering a range of smart features.
- Limited WiFi Compatibility: The Wyze Plug only supports 2.4GHz WiFi networks, which can be a limitation if your home or office uses a 5GHz network.
Ezviz T30-B Smart Plug
Wired recommends this plug as an inexpensive and easy-to-use option.
Gosund Mini Smart Plug
This is an affordable option that works with Alexa for voice control. It’s easy to install and use, and it also supports scheduling and timers.
- Compact Design: The Gosund Mini Smart Plug is compact, which allows it to be used in any standard outlet without blocking other outlets.
- Compatibility: The Gosund Mini Smart Plug is compatible with various smart home ecosystems, including Amazon Alexa and Google Home.
- Compatibility: The Gosund Mini Smart Plug is not compatible with Apple HomeKit.
Best Outdoor Smart Plugs for Alexa
Based on my own experience and research, here are some of the best outdoor smart plugs for Alexa in 2023:
Wyze Plug Outdoor
Dual Outlets: The Wyze Plug Outdoor features dual outlets, allowing you to control two devices independently.
Energy Monitoring: This smart plug offers energy monitoring features, providing insights into your power usage.
Weatherproof: The Wyze Plug Outdoor is designed to be weatherproof, making it suitable for outdoor use.
Compatibility: It works well with Alexa and Google Assistant, allowing for voice control.
Power Cord Size: Power cord is harder to fit into an electrical box.
TP-Link Kasa Smart Outdoor Plug EP40
- Dual Outlets: The EP40 features dual outlets, allowing you to control two devices independently.
- Weather Resistant: The EP40 is designed to be weather-resistant, making it suitable for outdoor use.
- Compatibility: It works well with Alexa and Google Assistant, allowing for voice control.
- Control from Anywhere: Users can control their devices connected to the EP40 from anywhere using the Kasa app.
- Size: The plug is substantial, which might be a concern for some users depending on their setup. The power cable is also only about 5 inches long.
Ring Outdoor Smart Plug
- Dual Outlets: The Ring Outdoor Smart Plug features dual outlets, allowing you to control two devices independently.
- Integration: The Ring Outdoor Smart Plug integrates well with the Ring ecosystem, making it a good choice for those who already use Ring products.
- Alexa Compatibility: The Ring Outdoor Smart Plug is compatible with Alexa, allowing for voice control.
- Outdoor Use: Designed for outdoor use, this smart plug can withstand various weather conditions.
- Requires a Hub: The Ring Outdoor Smart Plug requires a Ring Bridge to function, which could be an additional cost if you don’t already have one.
TP-Link Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Outdoor Dimmer (KP405)
- Dimming Capabilities: The KP405 is designed to control lighting and offers dimming capabilities, which is a feature not commonly found in outdoor smart plugs.
- Robust Features: The KP405 is praised for its robust features, likely referring to its scheduling, timer, and away mode functions.
- Compatibility: It works well with Alexa, Google Assistant, and SmartThings, allowing for voice control and integration into various smart home ecosystems.
- Weatherproof: The KP405 is designed for outdoor use and is IP64 rated, meaning it’s dust-tight and protected against water splashes from any direction.
- Single Outlet: Unlike some other models, the KP405 only has one outlet, which might be a limitation for some users.
- Requires 2.4GHz Wi-Fi: The KP405 only supports 2.4GHz Wi-Fi networks, which can be a limitation if your home or office uses a 5GHz network.
GE Lighting Cync Outdoor Smart Plug
- Dual Connectivity: The GE Cync Outdoor Smart Plug offers both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity. The Bluetooth functionality allows for quick on/off control when in close proximity, while the Wi-Fi connectivity provides remote control options from anywhere using a home network.
- Versatility: The plug has two outlets, allowing for the connection and control of multiple devices simultaneously. This is particularly useful for controlling multiple outdoor devices like string lights and garden fountains.
- Reliable Performance: Once set up, the plug’s performance has been reported as reliable, with a stable connection and no issues with dropped connections or malfunctioning.
- Weather-Resistant: The plug is designed to withstand outdoor conditions, making it durable and suitable for outdoor use.
- Setup Process: Some users reported that the setup process was challenging and more involved than anticipated. The instructions were not as clear as they could have been, and some users encountered difficulties in connecting the plug to their home network.
- Compatibility: The GE Lighting Cync Outdoor Smart Plug does not support HomeKit or IFTTT.
Lutron Caseta Outdoor Smart Plug
- Robust Design: The Lutron Outdoor Smart Plug is sturdy and well-made, designed to withstand extreme weather conditions year-round.
- Easy Setup: The setup process is simple and straightforward, taking no longer than five minutes.
- Smart Home Integrations: The device is compatible with Apple’s Siri, Amazon Alexa, or Google Assistant-enabled devices. It also works with Apple Watch, allowing you to select scenes for your Lutron Outdoor Smart Plug.
- Versatility: The plug can be used to control a variety of devices, particularly lights. You could use the plug to turn lights on and off at specific times throughout the day, and it can also be used to control landscape lighting, holiday and string lights, outdoor lamp posts, or wired weatherproof speakers.
- Price: The Lutron Outdoor Smart Plug is one of the higher-priced outdoor smart plugs.
- Size: The size of the plug may be an issue for some users. At 19.25 inches long, the plug’s casing is also 6.875 inches long and 1.5 inches high. This means the smart plug will stand out depending on where your exterior plug is located.
- Requires Lutron Smart Bridge: The plug needs to be connected to a Lutron Smart Bridge (hub) for full functionality. Without it, the plug will have limited remote controls and become just an expensive outdoor plug.
Cheapest Alexa Compatible Smart Plugs
EIGHTREE Smart Plug
This smart plug is compatible with Alexa and Google Home. Its price runs between $6.99 and $26.99, and there are often coupons that can be applied that bring the price down to about $4 per unit if you get the multipack.
Kasa Smart Plug HS103P4
The Kasa Smart Plug HS103P4 is a compact and affordable smart plug that works with Alexa, Google Home Assistant, and IFTTT.
The “P4” in the model number indicates a 4-pack, but other quantities are available. The 4-pack is the best value, though.
- Voice Control: The plug works with Alexa and Google Home Assistant, allowing you to control your home electronic appliances with your voice.
- Easy Setup and Use: The setup process is simple and requires a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi connection. All you need to do is plug in, open the Kasa app, and follow the instructions.
- Trusted and Reliable: Kasa is a trusted brand with over 5 million users and has been recognized as the reader’s choice for PCMag 2020. The plug is also UL-certified for safety use.
- No HomeKit Compatibility: The plug is not compatible with Apple’s HomeKit, which may be a drawback for some users.
- No Energy Monitoring in the Kasa App: While the plug does have energy monitoring capabilities, this feature is not available in the Kasa app and requires a separate app.